Skip to content

Meeting Minutes

Meeting Notes 5/5/2014

Asian & Pacific Islander American Faculty & Staff Association

 Introductions

  • Name, department
  • Something you are excited about for Spring Quarter

Agenda

  • Community Luncheon Updates – Please bring a item to share at the potluck, we will have raffles and prizes for the best dish!

Guest Speaker 

Dr. Holly Barker and P.I. Student Leaders

  • Student led task force pushing for Pacific Islander Studies Major
  • Requested for creation of P.I. Department
  • Previous pushes for a P.I faculty member faced funding issues
  • Creating opportunities for P.I students to connect culture and academics

Upcoming Events and Meetings

  • May 14th, 12:00-1:00 pm – Community Luncheon

___________________________________________________________________

Meeting Notes 1/10/2014

Asian & Pacific Islander American Faculty & Staff Association

Introductions

  • Name, Department/Role
  • Favorite part about Winter

Agenda

  • About APIASFA
  • Updates on Affinity Groups at the UW
    • Diversity at the UW Blueprint
    • Upcoming APIAFSA events
      • Student Panel – questions for students?
      • Community Luncheon – performance?
      • Upcoming Campus Events
        • Angry Asian Man Blog – 1/30, 6:30pm
        • ACE (Asian Coalition for Equality)Conference – 2/8, 10:00-4:00pm

Upcoming Events and Meetings

  • Monday, January 13th, 12-1 pm – APIAFSA Meeting
  • Tuesday, Feb 4th, 12-1 pm – Winter BYOL Panel and Discussion
  • Monday, May 5th, 12-1 pm – APIAFSA Meeting
  • May 14th, 11:00-1:30 pm – Community Luncheon

___________________________________________________________________

Notes from 11/1/2013

Asian & Pacific Islander American Faculty & Staff Association

APIAFSA Meeting 11.1.13

Introductions

  • Name
  • Department/Role
  • Favorite Candy

Agenda

  • About APIASFA – Who we are, what we do, how to get involved!
  • Increase engagement/involvement with students – partnership for Winter event
  • Upcoming APIAFSA events – finalized Community Luncheon date
  • Access to blog and facebook page – waiting to get admin access on both

Upcoming Events and Meetings

  • Friday, November 1st, 11:30-12:30 pm– APIAFSA Meeting
  • Thursday, Nov 21st, TBD – Fall Social Event
  • Monday, January 13th, 12-1 pm – APIAFSA Meeting
  • Wednesday, TBD – Winter Academic Event
  • Monday, May 5th, 12-1 pm – APIAFSA Meeting
  • May 14th, 11:00-1:30 pm – Community Luncheon

___________________________________________________________________

Notes from 4/13 Meeting

  1. Potluck Organization
    1. Volunteer List
      1. Set up crew: Noell, Chanira, Karen, Adelia
      2. Leah and Henry will pick up food
      3. Breakdown crew: Henry, Chanira, Leah, Jenelle, Noell
      4. Jenelle’s husband will take pictures
      5. Cynthia and Natalie – door prizes, Jenelle will follow up with them to see where they are at with prizes, see if we need more
    2. Invite list – RSVPs – so far 25 people have registered for our event
  2. Invitations and cards
    1. Noell brought the APIAFSA cards – good for invitations and thank yous
    2. Both Noell and Jenelle have cards if you need some
    3. Survey sent out by Cynthia
      1. Noell will share the list with the core group
      2. People will choose people they are familiar with and invite them
      3. Noell, Jenelle or Anand will send invitations to people who are not known by others
    4. Will send out invite to potluck to all Affinity Groups 2 weeks before our event (if there is still space)
  3. Topics for Gary Ikeda to speak about at potluck
    1. Gary should speak for about 15 – 20 minutes
    2. He will have a power point presentation – Jenelle will bring her laptop
    3. Some possible topics:
      1. Personal Experiences as an APIA
      2. Have there been any struggles career-wise as an APIA?
      3. How have his community connections helped or hindered him?
      4. Did he have any struggles or experiences as an APIA in law school or college?
  4. Group Survey
    1. Jenelle and Noell will follow up with Natalie on the survey sent out to APIAFSA
      1. What kind of reseponse did we get?
      2. Summary of outcome
    2. Henry will do a query on the net IDs from the listserv to create a list of names and box numbers
  5. Next year’s co-chairs and other positions for next year
    1. There are 2 potential co-chairs for next year – Noell and Jenelle will meet with them
    2. Possible Faculty co-chair
      1. Ann I. – new faculty – Anand will contact her
      2. Paul Aoki?
  1. Leadership Coordinators
    1. List Serv Coordinator – Suki????
    2. Communications Coordinator – one of the co-chairs????
      1. Coordinates all electronic communications: Facebook, Linked In, Website, Blog
      2. Updates OMAD with all information regarding events, goals, websites and leadership team
      3. 2 support team members
    3. Outreach and Recruitment Coordinator – Cynthia
      1. Coordinates all outreach to UW community, including students
      2. In charge of all public relations communication
      3. Creates new ideas for recruitment and outreach to UW Faculty and Staff
      4. Works with Events Coordinator to create events to involve more Faculty and Staff from other campuses
      5. Attends APIA related events to recruit new members
      6. Works with other Affinity Groups and OMAD to recruit new members
      7. 2 support team members
        1. Faculty Recruitment Coordinator – Ideally Faculty or someone who is connected with a lot of Faculty
        2. Ideally one of these members will be from another campus (Bothell or Tacoma) or one of these members will be connected with student groups
    4. Events Coordinator & Past co-chair – Jenelle
      1. Coordinates all events for APIAFSA, including events with other Affinity groups
      2. Coordinates all food, decorations, setup and breakdown, event space and timing for all events
      3. Coordinates photography at each event
      4. Current Events:
        1. Fall Panel or Talk
        2. Winter Scholar Seminar
        3. May Spring Potluck
        4. Happy Hours
    5. Treasurer – Adelia????
      1. Keeps track of budget by checking appropriate budget number
      2. Has access to procard
  2. Next meeting in May after potluck

___________________________________________________________________

Notes from meeting on 3/8/12


  1. Nominations for chairs
    1. Noell will send out a reminder to all to get in their nominations for co-chairs by the next APA Meeting on 4/5
    2. Noell will send an email to the nominees to see if they are interested in the position
  2. Logo and Cards
    1. Noell will research putting the approved APIAFSA logo on note cards with envelopes – to cost no more than $200 total

i.     These cards will be used to send out personal invites to Faculty to the Spring Potluck

ii.     We will have these cards printed by the first week in April

iii.     Cynthia will send out invites?

  1. Spring potluck (including food and decorations) ~ $400

1.     Food $350 – Jenelle will order from Kauai Family Restaurant

2.     Gift for speaker $25

3.     Linen, paper plates, beverages $25

4.     Decorations – free –we are going with a luau theme!

ii.     We will stop taking RSVPs at 75 people

iii.     We will also invite Sheila Edwards Lange and Tia Gehlhausen from OMAD to event

iv.     Jenelle will introduce speaker Gary Ikeda and will let people know how they can support the group more!

___________________________________________________________________

Notes from APIAFSA Meeting on 2/3/12  at 3:30 pm

  1. Survey
    1. Natalie created Survey and has put the results in excel format
  2. Logo
    1. We had a few more tweaks for the logo – they have been given to Nathan and he will send out a revised one
      1. We will use this logo on our cards and pens
  3. Budget
    1. We have $750 for the entire year
      1. Appetizers for Happy Hour ~ $150
      2. Spring potluck (including food and decorations) ~ $400
        1. Food $350
        2. Gift for speaker $25
        3. Linen, paper plates, beverages $25
        4. Decorations – free
      3. Swag ~ $200
        1. Paper and envelopes for cards
        2. Pens
  4. APIAFSA Happy Hour
    1. February 22, 5:30 – 7:30 pm
    2. Location: Chiang’s Gourmet

7845 Lake City Way NE
(between N 12th Ave & 78th St)
Seattle, WA 98115

(206) 527-8888

www.chiangsgourmet.com

  1. Chiang’s does have beer and wine and we hope to provide some appetizers
  2. Noell will create an invite, a place to RSVP, and send out to members
  • Diversity Council Meeting on Tuesday, February 21, at 2:10 pm, Chemistry BLD 102.
    1. Tia (OMAD Representative) explained that we would just need to update the Council on what we are doing
    2. Anand and Chanira have agreed to be at this meeting and speak for our group
    3. Tia Gehlhausen is willing to do the following:
      1. Check in and see if the Affinity Groups (some or all) can have a table or somehow be visible at the SOCAS event in October
      2. She will let us know the email address for all the affinity groups so we can send out invitations to all groups when we have events
      3. She is also working on a once-a-year email blast to all Faculty and Staff about ALL affinity groups
      4. She is working on a book mark and other items to hand out with affinity group information on it
  • Spring Potluck
    1. Hawaiian theme this year
      1. Jenelle will bring in decorations from the UW Club
      2. Jenelle will talk to Kona Kitchen about food
      3. Jenelle will contact Gary Ikeda, UWAG to see if he would be interested in speaking
        1. If that does not work, then Chanira will talk to Shirley who can ask Kenyon Chan, OR Cynthia or Linda can contact the Director of the Wing Luke Museum
      4. We will invite all affinity groups to this event via Tia
      5. We will target Faculty to come to this event
        1. The invitations to Faculty will be personal and three pronged
          1. Send them a personal written invitation on our new logoed cards
          2. Call them
          3. Send them an email invitation
  • Structuring Group
    1. Set meetings on the 2nd Thursday of each month
      1. 3:30 pm in UW Club Lounge
      2. Next meeting will be on 3/8
      3. We will not have meetings in July or August

Leadership Team:
3 Co Chairs

  • 2 Co-Chairs who are UW Staff – ideally at least one from a Coordinator position
  • 1 Co-Chair who is UW Faculty
  • 2 Past Chairs
  • Co-Chairs support coordinators by:
    • organizing and planning each year
    • attending OMAD Affinity group meetings
    • recruiting new members
    • recruiting speakers for events
    • connecting with other Affinity Groups to learn from their best practices
    • creates budget for communications, events and outreach

Leadership Coordinators

  • Communications Coordinator
    • Coordinates all electronic communications: Facebook, Linked In, Website, Blog, Listserv
    • Updates OMAD with all information regarding events, goals, websites and leadership team
    • 2 support team members
  • Outreach and Recruitment Coordinator
    • Coordinates all outreach to UW community, including students
    • In charge of all public relations communication
    • Creates new ideas for recruitment and outreach to UW Faculty and Staff
    • Works with Events Coordinator to create events to involve more Faculty and Staff from other campuses
    • Attends APIA related events to recruit new members
    • Works with other Affinity Groups and OMAD to recruit new members
    • 2 support team members
      • Faculty Recruitment Coordinator – Ideally Faculty or someone who is connected with a lot of Faculty
      • Ideally one of these members will be from another campus (Bothell or Tacoma) or one of these members will be connected with student groups
  • Events Coordinator
    • Coordinates all events for APIAFSA, including events with other Affinity groups
    • Works with board members to recruit speakers for seminars and spring potluck
    • Works with Outreach Coordinator to create new events to recruit new members
    • Coordinates all food, decorations, setup and breakdown, event space and timing for all events
    • Coordinates photography at each event
    • Current Events:
      • Fall Panel or Talk
      • Winter Scholar Seminar
      • May Spring Potluck
      • Happy Hours
  • Treasurer
    • Keeps track of budget by checking appropriate budget number
    • Has access to procard

APIAFSA Mail Box is located in Mary Gates Hall 320, Box # 352835

__________________________________________________________________

Notes from APIAFSA Meeting on 12/12/11 at 3:30 pm

  1. Noell, Jenelle, and Anand had attended a meeting with the other Affinity Group leaders, Tia Gehlhausen, and Sheila Edwards Lange.  Notes from this meeting were reviewed.
  2. Survey
  1. Natalie will create a survey with a list of questions for us to send out to our list serve in order to survey our membership
  2. We will create a database in excel form with this information
  •  Outreach to Faculty and Staff
  1. Jenelle will contact Tia to have her send out the an email to all Faculty and Staff reminding them about all of the Affinity Groups
  2. Jenelle will contact Tia to see if there could be an Affinity Group page in the booklet of resources for new Faculty and Staff
  3. We will continue to keep in touch with Tia concerning a possible info session in which all Affinity Groups will make a presentation
  • Outreach to Students
  1. Patrick will contact the Student Commission to possibly have a student representative at APIAFSA meetings and events
  2. We will plan to partner with student groups during Welcome Days
  3. We will plan to have an Affinity Group Table at the SOCAS event in October of 2012
  • Seminar on January 26
  1. Jenelle will contact Anand to see if we have speakers for the emerging scholars seminar on January 26
  2. We will plan on 2 presenters, who present for 15 minutes each, followed by moderated questions and an open discussion
  3. Cynthia will re-confirm with Shirley Hune to be sure she is still available to moderate
  4. Noell/Chanira will provide a laptop for this event
  5. UW Club will provide the space, projector, cookies and coffee, box lunches for presenters and moderator
  6. Jenelle will draft a letter for the group to send out to potential speakers
  7. We will cover parking if the speaker is not on the Seattle campus
  8. We will circulate related articles 1 week before event
  • APIAFSA Design
  1. Nathan has worked on a possible design for the group
  2. We will give him feedback via email
  3. The design should be strong and simple
  • Budget
  1. We have $750 for the entire year

i.      API Seminar ~ $100

ii.      Appetizers for Happy Hour ~ $150

iii.      Spring potluck (including food and decorations) ~ $350

iv.      Swag ~ $150

  1. Structuring Group
  1. Possibly have set meetings once a month
  2. Next year – 4 Co-Chairs (or Executive Board?)

i.      2 Staff – one new to group and one currently in position

ii.      2 Faculty – one new to group and one currently in position

iii.      Other positions:

1.      Communications Coordinator

2.      Outreach Coordinator

3.      Events Coordinator

4.      Treasurer

5.      Each position will be supported by 2 support positions

  1. Jenelle will write up a description of each position

___________________________________________________________________

Notes from University of Washington Affinity Group Breakfast Meeting

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

8:00 am to 10:00 am, UW Club

Lead by: Dr. Sheila Edwards Lange

Attendees: Tina Aguilar, Rosa Ramirez, Maggie Fonseca, Noell Bernard-Kingsley, Anand A. Yang, Jenelle Ebisu, Scott Pinkham, Namura Nkeze, Lee (Nomad) Damon, Ryan Hursh, James V. Fesalbon

MEETING MINUTES

A)     Introduction: Tia Gehlhausen, Staff Diversity Specialist

  • Working with Affinity Groups: Facilitate reimbursements, assist in coordinating meetings and retention activities for the group, and provide website maintenance.
  • Performing outreach to community organizations in an attempt to motivate a more diverse population to apply for staff positions at the University of Washington.
  • Collaborating with UW HR on existing efforts to recruit prospective applicants, in particular by attending local job fairs.
  • Potentially developing a set of best practices to be used by hiring managers as a guide for the applicant review process.

B)     Data: sheet passed out during meeting reflecting statistics for UW faculty and staff concerning ethnicity and gender for 2010 (inclusive of all 3 UW campuses)

  • 2011 statistics should be available in January
  • We do not see much diversity for executives and administrators
  • It would be good to collect data for faculty and staff who identify as LGBTQ or as a person with a disability, however seeking this data could be intrusive. We need to look at the value versus the intrusiveness of collecting this data.

C)     Administrative issues

  1. 1.      Budget
  • Each Affinity Group’s budget is $750.00 per year.
  • There will still be an Affinity Group budget through 2013.
  • Any money each Affinity Group has left over after this July will carry over through the year, but when the biennium ends any left over money will not be carried over.
  • Tina Aguilar: Is there a way that Affinity Groups who have not used all of their money can transfer any left over money into another budget shared by all groups, so no one loses the money they haven’t used yet?
  • SEL: On July 1, 2011, the budget will carry over to the 2012-2013 fiscal year. Around Dec. 2012, is when each Affinity Group should look at their fiscal spending and if it is decided to create this extra budget, put all the unused money together around Jan. 2013.
  • Also be prepared to provide a case to Sheila, as to why any leftover money should not be sent back.
  • Sheila will need to provide a summary of the importance of having the Affinity Groups and what kind of difference they make on campus to the senior executives, concerning the budget for the future biennium.
  1. Mailboxes
  • Each Affinity Group has their own mailbox, located in Mary Gates Hall 320, Box # 352835
  1. Website Updates
  • Please send website updates, compiled, to Tia, tiag7@uw.edu.

D)    Affinity Groups – Review of Last Year and Best Practices

  1. APIAFSA
  • Events included:
    • Spring potluck, this is their largest annual event, everyone votes on the best dish, use budget to supplement event, includes dance and culture
    • Networking lunches/happy hours
    • Successful panel regarding the book “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother”
    • Outreach and inclusion for faculty and staff from UW Bothell and Tacoma campuses
    • Also thinking about creating an APIAFSA design, in hopes to use for “shwag” i.e. pens or mugs, to pass out at events to recruit others. (if anyone knows a graphic designer please inform)
    • Noell created a blog and Facebook page regarding APIAFSA
    • Wondering if anyone has good ideas on how to get more faculty and staff interested in Affinity Group participation
  1. GLBTQFSA
  • Events included: (one per quarter)
    • Welcome event during the fall at the UW Club.
    • Winter-ruption: social hour at the District Lounge.
    • Spring Panel to speak on experiences and work.
    • Summer Pride Parade: a design committee created a reusable banner for the march. People from all three UW campuses participated this year, 30 people total. Banner created by ZippyDogs.com which can be found on the UW BDP Diverse Supplier Search website
    • How can we make UW Bothell and Tacoma aware of the Affinity Groups?
      • Perhaps by having a rebirth of Diversity Days and take it to the other two campuses.
      • Would like to host a career fair.

Note: Ideas for art designers; Kathy Swartz from Aquatics and Fisheries, Toka Valu from OMAD, or graduate students in design programs on campus.

  1. LFSA
  • Events included: (goal to reach out to students and let them know LFSA is here)
    • 10/14/10 – Latino(a) Community Welcome Reception featuring a keynote speaker.
    • 12/3/10 – Holiday Party .
    • 2/23/11 – Presentation, topic: The Latino(a) Experience Playing America’s Beisbol.
    • 6/10/10 – La Raza Graduation, UW Tower.
    • 10/11/11 – Latino(a) Community Welcome Reception featuring a keynote speaker.
    • Events and meetings over the year were well attended although group attendance overall has not increased.
    • New website: http://depts.washington.edu/lfsa/ (this site will be linked to OMAD site)
    • Survey: Sent out to LFSA email list serve
      • 31 members responded, 22 staff, 7 faculty and 2 administrators
      • Respondents indicated the best part of LFSA is the promotion of Latino Community on Campus, networking with colleagues but also feel there are not enough opportunities for Latinos on campus to get together. (From LFSA notes)
      • Catalyst or Google Forms is used for the survey
      • Members are sent the survey and asked if they would like to continue participation with LFSA.
      • Ribbons and Affinity Group Pins
        • We should get ribbons stating faculty or staff down the front, to be worn at Affinity Group events. * Tia to coordinate this
        • An emblem for each Affinity Group (each a bit different from the other) or one emblem in general should be created and used to make pins that can be handed out to new Affinity Group members at events etc.
        • New Initiatives/Potential Future Events
          • “Coffee Chai Chat” – a gathering for social interaction and discussion
          • Adopting Students, Staff, or Families for a holiday – hosting someone who does not have family in town or sponsor a person or family from the community by purchasing them a holiday meal.
          • LFSA Gives Back Day! – Recruit LFSA members to participate in a community organized which offers them an opportunity to give back.
        • Note: LFSA uses “Mail Chimp” for graphics and promotions which can be linked to Event Bright to track invitees.
  1. BFSA
  • Hosted 2 major events this year.
  • Black graduation 2011, had a wonderful turnout.
  • Namura attended the meeting/forum for the provost search and was the only Affinity Group representative present. It is important for Affinity Group members to offer their opinions/input regarding the provost search at the following website: http://www.washington.edu/discover/leadership/provost/recruit
  • The Graduate School 2011 Diversity Report: Mentioned by Namura. Emailed to Affinity Group leaders.

Namura: If we can look at this together as one group, this is where we hold the most power.

  1. NFSA
  • Hosted main event of the year – Raven’s Feast, graduation for Native American students
  • Hope to plan an event this year to bring Native artists to sell artwork on campus during the Holidays.
  • It has been difficult getting attendance from all 3 UW campuses.
  • NFSA faculty representative is leaving and will need to be replaced.
  • November is Native American Heritage Month; please visit Odegaard Library to see displays honoring Native heritage and cultures.

E)     Affinity Group Awareness

  1. Diversity Council Meeting: During a winter quarter meeting, an Affinity Group representative from each group will join the council meeting to give a presentation, seeking help in recruiting and also share what each group is doing.
  1. Methods to Make Affinity Group Information Available to New Hires:
  • New Staff Orientation – However, these sessions can be overwhelming with information for people.
  • Piggy back with the benefits fair, tabling with Affinity Group Information, or have a room for presentations or discussions.
  • Hold an Affinity Group information session once a year.
  • Hold a meeting with all 3 campuses on faculty and staff diversity.
  • Postcard/ brochure – * Tia is working on an updated brochure.
  • To avoid targeting specific groups of people, an email blast to all UW employees annually or biannually may be a good idea.
  • It is important to also recruit allies and advocates.
  1. Holiday Specific Events/Activities Organized by Students: offer opportunities for Affinity Groups to connect with students. Maggie Fonseca can forward student organized event information to Affinity Groups interested in getting involved with students.
  1. All Affinity Group Event:
  • Affinity Group Reception with President Young – spring 2012, in the process of organizing this event and inviting President Young and all deans. Affinity Group Senior Leaders to be a part of this group.
  • Also perhaps an event for all Affinity Group members and their families or friends to attend, such as the waterfront event organized by Chesca Ward a couple of years ago.
  1. Best Practices: Affinity Groups grew out of Corporate America, perhaps there are things happening around the region in which the UW Affinity Groups can gain ideas or models from to avoid reinventing the wheel. For example; each Affinity Group may want to elect an “Executive Sponsor” (senior administration) for each group.

F)     Additional Items:

  1. Diversity Requirement: Student Coalition is trying to get a Diversity Requirement implemented at UW. The great hope is that there will be progress due to using a broader definition of Diversity Requirement and of the courses within the minor. Using Berkeley’s model, the Diversity Requirement will be inclusive of experiences such as, study abroad and volunteer experience. This requires a vote of 95% approval from UW faculty.

SACNAS (Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science): The annual SACNAS forum will be held in downtown Seattle in October, 2012. 4,000 people come for this conference. There will be a Pow wow, Native Market and Pachanga. There will also be a community engagement piece available to all faculty. Please spread the word!

___________________________________________________________________

Notes from APIAFSA Meeting on 11/3

  1. Brown Bag Lunch
  1. November 9, 12 – 1:30 pm in UW Club South Dining Room
  2. This will be a casual lunch, no specific topics discussed
  3. Non-members of the UW Club can put their lunches on Jenelle Ebisu’s tab and just pay cash or check that day
  • API Research Seminar
  1. January 26, 12 – 1:30 pm in UW Club Conference Room
  2. This seminar will highlight emerging API scholars, ideally they would be working on topics related to APIs.
  3. Shirley Hune has agreed to moderate this event
  4. Anand will work on acquiring speakers??
  5. Will possibly have coffee and cookies available – dependent on budget
  • APIAFSA Happy Hour
  1. February 22, 5:30 – 7:30 pm
  2. Location: Chiang’s Gourmet 7845 Lake City Way NE (between N 12th Ave & 78th St)  Seattle, WA 98115 (206) 527-8888 www.chiangsgourmet.com
  1. Chiang’s does have beer and wine and we hope to provide some appetizers – dependent upon budget
  • Spring Potluck
  1. May 9, 12 – 1:30 pm in Social Work Commons (max capacity 120)
  2. Committee Breakdown:

i.      Decorations

ii.      Complimentary Food

iii.      Sign in and Registration

1.      Possible card swipe at registration? If so, we will let people know that they will be automatically signed up for our mailman list

iv.      Speaker or Entertainment

1.      Melissa from UWB will ask Kenyon Chan if he is interested in speaking

v.      Raffle prizes

vi.      Music

vii.      Photographer – Jenelle’s husband has agreed to be the unofficial photographer at all events except brown bag lunches

viii.      Set up and clean up

  1. Treasurer and Budget
  1. Adelia has agreed to be Treasurer since she has access to budgets and a Procard
  2. We have $750 for the entire year
  3. This amount does not roll over – so we need to spend all of it
  4. This year we would like to spend it on:

i.      Swag (including creating logo) – $ ???

ii.      Refreshments for API Seminar ~ $60

iii.      Appetizers for Happy Hour ~ $150

iv.      Spring potluck (including food and decorations) ~ $350

  1. Administration of mailman
  1. Adelia, Suki and Cynthia will have administrative abilities on the mailman listserv.  Cynthia will update the mailman to allow for an automated email sent to each new member of the listserv
  • Logo and Swag
  1. We will send out an email asking if anyone is interested in creating a logo for the APIAFSA Group
  2. With this logo, we would purchase some swag to use as gifts for speakers, entertainers, etc.

i.      Cynthia will research companies for the swag

  1. UWB
  1. Kiana and Melissa from UWB were in attendance
  2. We will work to include faculty and staff from all three UW campuses in our events

___________________________________________________________________

Notes from APIAFSA Meeting on 9/27

Here’s a quick update on events:

– Anand is working on getting 2 more possible panelists for the Tiger Mom event on 10/13.  We already have one (Lorna) and he thinks a grad student would be appropriate on the panel as well.  We will know by the end of this week who the panelists will be.

– Cynthia is checking with UBS to see if they would be willing to sell some books at this event.  She will also see if they have had or will have any plans of hosting the author there.

– Cynthia is looking in to a possible winter event with Wing Luke Museum – possibly a tour and dim sum package?

– We should probably plan another happy hour event just to invite some of the Bothell contingent.

___________________________________________________________________

Notes from APIAFSA Meeting on 8/10

Here’s an update on upcoming events:
NEW – APIAFSA Happy Hour
Date: Wednesday, September 14
        Time: 5pm to 7pm
Place: TBA – if anyone knows of a great happy hour place in the U district, please let us know!
APIAFSA Seminar
Date: Thursday, October 13
        Time: 12pm to 1:30pm
Place: UW Club Conference Room
        Tiger Mom Panel – we’ll have 3-4 speakers on this panel plus a facilitator.  Anand will contact speakers and facilitator.
APIAFSA Brown Bag Lunch
Date: Wednesday, November 9
        Time: 12pm to 1:30pm
Place: UW Club South Dining Room
        Members of the UW Club can charge the lunch to their account.  If you are not a member, you may charge your lunch to Jenelle Ebisu’s account and pay cash that day.
APIAFSA Seminar
Date: Thursday, January 26
        Time: 12pm to 1:30pm
Place: UW Club Conference Room
        This will be a showcase of UW Faculty who are doing research on APIA subjects


___________________________________________________________________

Notes from APIAFSA Meeting on 7/14

We just had our APIAFSA planning meeting – Thanks to Anand, Suki, Adelia and Noell for participating!
We came up with some ideas for this upcoming school year – let us know what you think:
1.  Noell will put together a facebook page and a blog for our group to help recruit members and keep everyone abreast of the upcoming events
2.  We would like to start brown bag lunches once a quarter either on Wednesdays or Thursdays.  These lunches could be in a room on campus or at a restaurant on the Ave (I was thinking Arayas might work for this too).  What do you think of these dates: Wednesdays – 11/9/11, 2/22/12 and 5/25/12?
3.  We thought seminars/panels once a quarter on certain topics that are relevant to the APIA community would be good – the first topic would be Tiger Moms.  Anand is working on getting panelists for this.  If you know anyone who might be interested in speaking on this – please let him know.  What do you think of these dates: Thursdays – 10/13/11, 1/26/12 and 4/19/12?  If you have any other ideas for topics, please let us know.
4.  In order to have a better attendance at the May potluck, we wanted to start planning now.  Karen Johnson has reserved Wednesday, May 9th, 2012 at the social work building for us.  We have the room held from 11 am to 3:30 pm for now.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: